What you need to know to sell your home faster!
START OUTSIDE! Stand across the street, and take a look at your home from a potential buyer’s viewpoint… First Impressions Are Everything!
- Ensure there are not too many cars parked in front of your home.
- Trim your lawn and repair spots that need re-seeding. Get your landscaping in tip top shape. In the winter, make sure the driveway and pathways are shovelled clear of snow.
- Remove all leaves and clutter from your front yard, sidewalks, porches and decks. In the summer time, plant and have flowers.
- Check your fencing, trim, decks, gates and frontdoor. Does any part of the house need stain or paint? Remember, when a buyer comes to look at your house, the first thing they see is your front door!
- Wash screens and windows outside and purchase items that will enhance the house for showing that you can take with you. A new welcome mat, big potted plants for inside, pots of geraniums for the patio or deck.
Now it’s time to FRESHEN UP the inside!!
Aim for the senses, especially smell and sight. Clean, fresh smelling homes will sell faster… and Clear the Clutter!
- Badly faded walls or worn woodwork will reduce appeal. Selective painting will help to add a fresh look to your home.
- Put freshly laundered curtains in windows. Colourful curtains in synchronized with countertops & floors add warmth to kitchens, baths etc…
- Check all light bulbs and detail all light fixtures.
- Make sure all oven ranges and sinks are clear and neat.
- Take things out of closets & cabinets that are not essential to your life and pack them away.
- Remove unnecessary articles which have accumulated in basements, utility and storage areas.
- Clear stairway and hallways to create an open concept.
- Remove furniture clutter. Put it in the basement or garage or better yet, store or sell it.
- brighten dull basement and storage areas by painting the walls and using high watt bulbs.
- Make sure your bathrooms sparkle! Dirty baths can turn off a buyer.
- New towels are an excellent investment.
- A fresh coat of interior paint wouldn’t hurt – Use neutral colours. $100.00 worth of paint may balance $500.00 in a price cut.
MAKE ROOMS SPARKLE!
- Have all light sockets filled with bulbs.Illumination is like a welcome sign!
- Wash your dishes, put away clothes,and straighten up newspapers etc…
- Keep all steps clear of hazards.
- Check to see if your carpet needs cleaning or replacing.
- Make certain all your appliances are clean and in working order.
- Remove any ornate items that a buyer may want as part of the house that you intend to keep, for example, a special chandelier.
MINOR REPAIRS MAKE SENSE!
Get all those minor flaws fixed since they affect your home value. Major repairs are not necessary except for a fresh coat of paint and carpeting.
- Repair all dripping faucets. It can lead buyers to question the plumbing system.
- Repair or replace all loose doorknobs, sticking drawers or doors.
- Fix all caulking, especially in the bathrooms.
- Overall, if it is broken…fix it!
DON’T CAUSE CONTROVERSY
- Not everyone shares your sense of humor or political views. Remove any signs, posters or art that might be controversial or offensive to prospective buyers.
Ok.. It’s showtime!!
- Turn off the television. It is very difficult for an agent to keep the attention of a prospect focused on your home when an interesting special is on the TV competing for their attention.
- Turn on the stereo. Find the best station for easy listening. Most buyers will imagine themselves living in a peaceful environment.
- Open all window shades, drapes and curtains!
- If you have enough notice…build a fire!
- Treat your prospective buyer the way you would want to be treated. Most feel they are imposing on you when looking at your home. Make them feel welcome, invite them to take their time looking and tell them you will be leaving to run errands.
- Try to keep your pets out of the way…preferably out of the house.
- Keep pet beds, litter boxes and feeding dishes out of the way, move them to the utility room. Deodorize thoroughly.
- Check the thermostat….cool in the summer and warm in the winter!
- Turn on every light in the house, including closet lights and special heat lamps in the bathroom. This makes the house seem bright and cheery